Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Long Way Round

Tonight there was some bad news: both the Piccadilly line and the Victoria line had severe delays. These are my two quick routes from town up to Finsbury Park, from which it's just minutes by train to my new place.

Why do people have to put themselves under trains at rush hour? How rude!

The quickest route I could sort had me taking the Northern line (Charing Cross branch) from Leicester Square up to Euston, where I could change to the Northern line (Bank branch), heading south (i.e., the wrong direction) down to Old Street. My train starts at Moorgate and goes through Old Street and Highbury & Islington before Finsbury Park, so I just had to pick it up early.

All in all, it took me 36 minutes to get home. Normally it takes around 20.

Once I got into the flat and unpacked my groceries, I remembered my old commute. When I lived in Walthamstow, the Tube ride home by itself took 30 minutes. Plus the 12 minute walk. And if there were delays -- and I had to go through Liverpool Street -- it could take 45 minutes or longer.

So I really have nothing to complain about.

No comments: